A friendly reminder from BC’s emergency service dispatchers that 9-1-1 calls are for emergencies only.
This week has been proclaimed as Emergency Service Dispatchers and 9-1-1 Awareness Week.
Last year, the province’s 240 dispatchers handled more than 413,000 emergency calls, however, some were clearly not emergencies.
“It’s important to remember that we’re here to help people with emergency medical situations. Calls that are inappropriate divert resources from those who need swift medical attention,” says BCAS Director of Dispatch Operations, Gord Kirk.
Some of the more unusual calls dispatchers have handled in the past include:
– There is a racoon in my garden and he looks angry. Can you take him away?
– Can you tell me how to cook my turkey?
– My shower drain is clogged.
– Could you tell me the time, please?
– I’m out of beer.
– I think my house is infested with fleas. Can…
View original post 108 more words